Playdough Recipe

Tuesday, September 12, 2023

The kids have requested that I share our playdough recipe. I have made this to use in the classroom for years and the kids have said it is more similar to slime (I've taken that to mean that they like it better 😉). 

I got the recipe from Playdough to Plato (click to see the full page). I typically make half the recipe and it works well as a size for one kiddo to use (I'm also making 6 different colors at the same time so it saves me time/ingredients too).

Ingredients:
  • 3 cups of flour (You can substitute with gluten free flour if you’d like.)
  • 3/4 cups of salt
  • 6 tablespoons cream of tartar
  • 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil
  • 3 cups of water
  • Gel food coloring (The gel variety is a little pricier but the colors come out brighter.)
  • wax paper (for cooling down)
Directions:
  1. Mix flour, salt, and cream of tartar in a medium/large pot.
  2. Add water and oil until the clumps are gone.
  3. Add food coloring.
  4. Put on stove on medium heat.
  5. Continuously stir until it becomes a mound of playdough.
  6. Remove from pot and put on wax paper.
  7. Let cool until you can handle it.
    1. Knead the dough until all the color is mixed in.
    2. Let sit for up to 30 minutes (or it will dry out).
  8. Store in an air-tight container.
I typically replace it every 3 months or so.